Thursday, June 2, 2011

A musical story

I was in school. I was very shy. I would not speak until needed, until asked. I was scared of the outside world. But I loved my Ma and my little brother. They would laugh all the time. They had jokes. All I needed to do was listen to the jokes and giggle. They don't expect me to add to the story and be funny. They were nice people. They kept me in their team even when I was misfit or may be they needed an audience for their anecdotes and jokes or they don't care as long as you can laugh with them. I was happy being in their team as my dad was a taciturn man. He won't smile even when needed. And my world was my books and my school and homework. Being in their team made my study breaks funny. My childhood was very musical. My Mom would never compromise on music. She would object to my Dad for spending money on everything. But she would make sure she had the music cassettes of the new movie that just got released. We had the Sony music player and for her that was not a luxury. That's the need of the soul to be rejuvenated. She would sing ardently while doing her daily chores. She would forget all the fights with my dad once she had the music playing. I guess that's the magic of music. It helps you think about the song and makes your life dreamy. My Mom would always play romantic numbers. She would always skip slow ones. I guess she needed a change from her mundane life that was kind of slow in that small town.
My brother took after her a lot. He would keep singing all the time. He and Mom would play the music every morning while we would get ready for school. He had this piggy bank with lots of money in it. He was a pampered kid. We all loved him a lot. He would throw tantrums and we would let him cuz we loved him, he was the youngest in the four membered family. He was a big favorite with all the domestic helps we had. He would make all of them his alias in cricket. So here goes the story of how he got some of the money. He was two grades younger than me. He was expected to read my used books. He hated the idea as I would get new books the first day of class. On the contrary, he was supposed to wait for loose books till the weekend. I know its irritating for a kid. So my parents tried to bribe him to accept my used books. They would pay him and not the school for every used book he would read. It did not make him the happiest but it could still pacify the situation. So he had some money collected in his Piggy Bank. And then he was a teenager now. The piggy bank was broken.Any guesses about what he did with the money. He bought like 15 cassettes of different albums that were very expensive. No wonder he was Mommy's son. And he bought chocolates of all kinds. But he was scared of Mommy. She might beat him up and he was excited to share the happiness. So he showed me the treasure. Of course I had to keep my mouth shut but I was paid. I got a share in all the chocolates he had bought. We had them hidden in the attic house on our terrace. The funny part is that he would play the cassettes and slowly get them downstairs cuz may be he did not want Ma to notice all of them together. I don't remember what would he tell Ma; may be that 'it belongs to some friend'. But he proved that he can be more religiously musical than Mommy. We even had English music to our ears now; Michael Jackson and Savage Garden. I loved listening to "to the moon and back" and "The Animal song" and "Black o' white". Thanks to him.

2 comments:

  1. I still dunno why I bought all those cassettes...Crazy I was...If something gets into my head i need to bloody to it...But it was fun...Little things scare us when we are kids...I still get scared of things pretty easily...One such thing is FUTURE...such a scary mystery it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post to start with :) This is a timeless story of innocence, family bonds & desires of a kid. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your next blog !!!

    ReplyDelete